Blohm & Voss BV-141 B-1 - Operation Manual (1942)
Blohm & Voss BV-141 B-1 - User's Manual
Published by the manufacturer in April 1942
93 pages - in German
In aeronautics, German engineers were bold and original, not to mention bizarre during the war. The Blohm & Voss BV141 is the best example of this. The design of this aircraft was in response to Luftwaffe's request for a short-range reconnaissance aircraft with an increased field of view.
Engineer Richard Vogt submitted this project for an asymmetric aircraft with engine on the left and superglass cabin on the right. He housed the pilot, observer and tail gunner and gave them an excellent view of all horizons, except the left of course. The fuselage was on the left, with a 1000 hp Bramo 323 engine at the front and a vertical stabilizer at the rear. The prototype Bv 141A (with a symmetrical tail) flew on February 25, 1938 but the RLM rejected it because it lacked power.
There will be only two series of 5 devices of products and production will be stopped in 1943.
The Bv 141B (with an asymmetrical tail) was more powerful thanks to its BMW engine but was little evaluated in operations because it was present in only one squadron on the Russian front.
Subsequent developments of this aircraft (back to a symmetrical structure) were good aircraft but experienced significant hydraulic and underpower problems. The development was slow and the FW 189, meeting the requirements, was chosen.
Only 13 copies of Blohm und Voss BV 141 were built.